May 5, 2010

Yogurt Making after the Class

I just got some feedback after the first yogurt making class. YOU actually went home and tried to make yogurt. YEAH! A few things ... it may take more than 6 hours to fully incubate especially if not using dry milk. Some yogurt recipes say up to 8 hours. Don't worry! This is why I start yogurt in the morning. Also, if you can stop the incubation process as soon as the yogurt is thick, it is less "tangy." If you want tangy yogurt for use as sour cream, let it incubate longer.

As I was making yogurt this morning for my family, I realized that I use way less than 1/3 cup of sugar. I was estimating when I made my recipe. I use less than 1/4 cup of sugar when I am making it for myself. No wonder the yogurt from class was so tasty! Just know that you can vary sugar or add no sugar to the yogurt. I have also used Agave Nectar, but it does tint the yogurt slightly. To me, the vanilla is essential. One suggestion from class was to try a vanilla/almond flavoring mixture which sounded good to me.

I have another great plan for yogurt - how about mixing it with Ranch Dressing flavor and making a dip? Yum. And HERE are some more ideas of ways to use yogurt.

Yogurt with Church powdered milk: I have been experimenting with using the cannery milk for yogurt to this result - It works great if you use 2 cups dry milk with the 3 3/4 cups water, BUT you CANNOT add vanilla or sugar. Adding vanilla and sugar stops the yogurt process and you will just get yogurt milk!

Also, I have had some feedback that you can incubate the yogurt in your oven with the light turned on. That sounds super easy to me.

Keep me posted on your successes and failures so I can let everyone know.

Paula